With Christmas over for another year and New Year approaching, it’s time to keep safety top of mind when driving over the holiday period.
Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey said the “Memories” road safety campaign will now shift to feature vintage holiday memories and experiences.
“I urge Queenslanders to drive safely over the school holidays and the Australia Day long weekend,” Mr Bailey said.
“We’ve already had a shocking start to the Christmas holiday period with 246 fatalities, nine up from the same time last year.
“We don’t want to see any more deaths on our roads.”
Mr Bailey said the holiday commercial will feature in cinemas, outdoor billboards, press and online from December 26 with the new television commercial airing from January 22 in the lead-up to Australia Day.
“Road safety is everyone’s responsibility, every fatal crash or serious injury has a long-lasting effect on the family and friends left behind,” he said.
“Plan your journey and, if you are travelling a long way, prepare to have regular rest stops to avoid fatigue.
“Stick to the speed limit and never overtake in an unsafe manner. If it’s wet, drive with extra caution and if it’s flooded, forget it.
“Please drive safely and ensure your holiday memories are happy ones, as we all want a great, safe start to 2017.”
The road safety reminders will also be court-side at the Brisbane Bullets vs Cairns Taipans New Year’s Eve game, as well as at the Brisbane Heat Big Bash games throughout January at the Gabba.
The campaign also encourages people to get involved through social media by sharing their holiday memories on the Join the Drive website, and encouraging their family and friends to drive safely this holiday season.
- 246 people lost their lives on Queensland roads this year (up 9 on last year)
- 1 in 4 road fatalities involved a speeding driver (2015)
- 1 in 5 road fatalities involved a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol (2015)
- 33 fatalities and 2,068 people injured from traffic crashes during last year’s 50-day campaign
- 624,798 RBTs and 9,287 drug tests were conducted during last year’s campaign
- $365 and three demerit points is the current first offence fine for using your mobile phone while operating a vehicle.